Sunday, November 2, 2008

Traditions

Sarah's Thoughts:
Being a wife and a mom suddenly makes me responsible for celebrating holidays and carrying out traditions on those holidays. If I don't do it, no one will and as Owen gets older, I'm sure all of that will become more important. There are some holidays that I sort of have a feel for, and others that I've pretty much ignored, namely Halloween. For Halloween, my co-workers order these elaborate costumes from internet superstores. They dress their kids up as vampires and gorey monsters- the bloodier the better. To me, this seems a little overboard. Growing up, we'd scrounge a costume out of dress-up box right before we went trick-or-treating. The one I remember is "Jogging Grandma" which consisted of curlers, a shower cap, a pair of glasses, make-up and pantyhose (the best part) and a little white sweater. We stopped celebrating Halloween when I was in 5th grade because my mom decided we would celebrate "All Saints Day's Eve" instead. This meant we'd watch movies and hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters that came to our door. So what are the Woodruffs going to do? I don't' know. I don't think Owen is going to grow up celebrating All Saint's Day's Eve but I can't ever see dressing him up as Freddie Krueger either. I do enjoy the fun costumes, carving jack-o-lanterns and bobbing for apples. Aye! All these decisions to make! Luckily, I've dodged the bullet this year. Next year, however, I'd better be a little more prepared....

High- The comments from our trick-or-treaters: "Trick Or Treat! I'm Thing One and She's Thing Two, but you can't tell because she got cold and had to put on her coat. Ohhhhhhh! What kind of dog do you have? A black lab? We use to have a black lab but she got ran over. Her name was Riley. Happy Halloween!"

Low- A toss up between the broken keyboard on my Mac and the $2400 bill to rebuild the transmission on our Durango.

Luke Update:
On Saturdays, Luke has a standing date with the forest. He suits up in his wool pants, gaiters, and blaze orange hat and hits the trees in search of the elusive Sitka Blacktail Deer. This week there was a small craft advisory on the high seas so the boat stayed parked in the driveway and he stuck closer to home. No deer, but he did see a porcupine on a log that was so big, for a split second he thought it was a deer. Luke's getting ready for a 5-day deer hunt this coming weekend with a few buddies. Exciting stuff. He's got the wall tent ready to roll with the wood stove, a cot, waffles for breakfast. Its going to be rough. I promised him that I'd post a picture of his deer on the blog, so you are forewarned.

Owen Update:
I know that having a kid that climbs isn't really something every parent hopes for, however, it seems like something every little boy should love to do. Lela tells stories of finding her 1 year old on top of the toilet and I admit, I've felt a little twang of jealousy because Owen has not been a climber. He's always been very cautious. Maybe because he's such a big, solid boy, he hasn't had the strength to haul himself around or maybe its just his nature to be cautious. Either way, I'm proud to announce that Owen has officially discovered climbing. He's conquered the chairs in the kitchen, the coffee table in the living room, the spare twin bed in his room, and is trying his darnedest summit his changing table, but I think that might take some time. The look of pride on his little face when he makes it to the top, melts my heart. I know I shouldn't encourage the climbing, but it makes him so happy and I think its might be part of developing those large motor skills?



Shopping at Costco. Owen went right to the bikini undies.
I'm not really sure what that means...

Smiling in the shower.

Halloween Tigger. So stinking cute!

Owen got caught with his book under the bottom sheet
as we were making up the bed. He thought it was
the greatest thing in the world and wouldn't come out.

After his escapade under the sheets,
Owen decided to take a little reading break.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

i love your pictures. owen is just so stinkin' cute. his smile is so bright and cheerful. he and isaac have a similar toothy smile look.
hope luke has a great hunt.