Sunday, November 16, 2008

Approaching the Holidays

Sarah's Thoughts:    Thanksgiving is a week and a half away so I can officially start getting ready. My parents are flying into Juneau next Sunday and I'm quite excited. I'm been working on Thanksgiving lists; guest list, food list, cleaning list, shopping list, craft list...  I really enjoy playing hostess, despite the stress, but I rarely invite people over.  I think its because I don't want them to dread coming and then hate being here.  I'm really not a pessimist, just self-conscious and a procrastinator- not a winning combination.  Anyway, Thanksgiving is a time that I know people like to spend together so I feel confident and justified in having guests over, plus I have a nice big house to entertain in.  I do not, however, have football... I hope that's not going to be a problem....  On second thought, forget it.  I'm cancelling Thanksgiving.  (just kidding)  

I've been secretly singing holiday songs to Owen.  Technically, I'm of the opinion that Christmas starts after Thanksgiving, but if you sing quietly and choose the songs that focus on winter and snow ("Let it Snow", "Winter Wonderland", "Frosty the Snowman") that might be OK....  just don't let me hear it on the radio! Grrrr!

High - Shopping today by myself.  I leisurely browsed through Joanne's AND Fred Meyers and didn't have to deal with someone else pulling things off the shelf or deciding they wanted to go a different direction, or wanting to be held and then wanting down and then wanting to push the cart and then wanting Mama to hold them while they were pushing the cart... 

Low - Trying to clean-up Owen's chaffed, raw behind covered in poo.

Luke Update:  Luke came home from his hunting trip on Tuesday, smelly, hairy and so so happy.  Since then, every free moment has been devoted to taking care of the deer and to sorting through the explosion of gear in the garage.  As of this afternoon, I think the deer meat is all neatly packaged and frozen and the skull is clean...  He's planning on taking my Dad and brother hunting next week, so it will begin again...  Luke didn't get to take our still camera on his hunting trip, but he did take the video camera...  So stay tuned:  As previously promised, for your viewing pleasure, at the bottom of this post you will find a short video clip of the one that didn't get away.

Owen Update:  I can sum up Owen's week in one word.  Teething.  I know we've been through this before but this time it seems especially draining.  "Oh no, " you might say, "That sweet boy?  Well, he's just an angel.  An angel straight from heaven.  I'm sure it hasn't been THAT bad." Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'd like to present Exhibit A, photographic proof that it has been no walk in the park.  This is a typical Owen snapshot from this week. His mouth is hurting, which makes him crabby and his poop has been especially frequent and acidic which gives him a nasty diaper rash which makes him crabby, and he hasn't had much of an appetite, which makes him crabby, which makes him demanding and when he doesn't get his way that makes him crabby which makes him tired and that also makes him crabby.    I was afraid that I wouldn't have any pictures to post this week, however, I did get a couple of shots before it all began...   


Exhibit A


Dolly cautiously approaching a newly frozen pond


This is what I came home to after my 
shopping excursion.  Mmmm-mmm, Antler stew.


Mighty hunter.



No matter how crabby he is, 
the bathtub always puts a smile on his face.  
Thank You God!



And now for our feature presentation...

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I totally hear you on the teething stuff. Isaac has had some really rough days in the past too. He's got 12 teeth now. I think we only have 4 more and then we'll have a break. Hopefully he'll follow Carly's lead and the 2nd set of molars will just sneak in without anyone noticing.
Glad your family is coming for Thanksgiving. Mine is coming as well. I have similar lists going as well. Although, you've made me realize that I need to focus a little more on my food/shopping lists. Too much to do.

Kim Gail said...

Thanksgiving holidays have almost come & I'm going to have lot's of fun during these holidays.

John Amundson said...

NICE DEER!!