Sunday, November 9, 2008

Falling Over

Sarah's Thoughts - I'm totally thrown off.  Luke is gone hunting and I just feel out of balance.  I'm eating meals over the sink, waking up constantly throughout the night, imagining furnace problems, and I'm sure murders are right around the corner.  I'm glad Luke is having a good time but for my mental well-being he needs to come home soon. I'm usually fine when he's gone but this time feels different.  I think its a combination of  the fact that the only person I see all day is a sassy 1 1/2 year old, and you just can't have a good conversation with all that attitude AND the fact that its pitch black by 4pm.  After spending a stir-crazy day in the house listening to suspicious creeks and pops and pacifying a cranky toddler, the furnace stopped working.  I began imagining Owen and I freezing to death in our beds or refuges in someone else's house.  In a panic I called my sweet brother.  He left his friends, got a ride back to his car and came to rescue me.  When he arrived, he took one look at the furnace, flipped a big black switch from "Off" to "On" (Owen Mitchell Woodruff!!!) and that was it!  I'm thankful the solution was so simple, quick and cheap, but mentally, I'm still shook up.  I guess I'm not as tough as think I am.
  
High- Beautiful crisp sunny blue skies and frosty ground! 

Low- 1:45 when the sun disappears.

Luke Update - As previously mentioned, Luke is hunting with two buddies.  He's been gone since Friday and will return on Tuesday.  He was really stressed about the weather before he left.  They were predicting small craft advisories and rain.  However, the morning that they were going to leave, he checked the weather forecast.  Calm seas and no rain in sight. Boo-yeah! He is within cell phone range, so I've talked to him every night.  He shot a nice buck on Saturday and so did his friend, John (deer #4).  They didn't see anything today but are hopeful for tomorrow.

Owen Update- Owen is also off kilter.  He's not taking very good naps and he's not eating much.  He's throwing these big fits when he doesn't get his way, crying fat, hot tears.  He thinks its unfair when I won't let him walk around in the middle of the street, or when I pull him away from the stove...the injustice! In his defense, he does have 2 new teeth working their way out and I think he misses Luke too.  Case in point: a few weeks ago, Luke was editing some hunting footage and added this song as background music.  We heard that song a lot as Luke was working on the movie.  Anyway, today when we were listening to music, Luke's song came on and Owen got really quiet and still.  Sweet little guy! 

On a more positive note, Owen started blowing kisses this week.  Every night after I lay him down in his bed, before I close the door, I say "Mama loves you, Owen," and I blow him a kiss.  Tonight as I was shutting the door, I heard the unmistakable sound of Owen kissing the palm of his hand.  Smack!


Romeo Returns. 
(Romeo is the name of the big black wolf on the left of the picture.  
He hangs out around the glacier in the winter.  
We saw him on our walk today.  This was the first time 
we've seen him this winter, so it was sort of a surprise.  
He was whining, wanting to play with the dog 
on the right side of the picture.)


Icy stream.
(Also from our walk today.  It was cold!)

Owen riding in the Ergobaby carrier on Perseverance trail.  


I'm sure it won't be long before Owen will be holding a real dead duck.
My little Ewok!

Blue eyes, red cheeks.  So cute!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I didn't know you had an ergo--or maybe you were just borrowing one again. They are the best! My absolute favorite.
Glad it's Tuesday and Luke is just hours away from coming home. I know Lela will appreciate David getting home too.