Sunday, October 26, 2008

Snow!

Sarah's Thoughts:
 There is something exciting about new snowfall that brings me back to childhood.  Suddenly I am eight years old, wearing my full-body snowmobile suit, digging tunnels and making snow angels in the front yard. When I get too cold and retreat inside, my mom fixes me a hot chocolate in the special walrus mug and gives me a candy cane to stir with.  My siblings and I make a pact that no one touches the back yard, so that it accumulates as much untouched, flawless snow as possible. We watch the progress from the living room window, until the glorious day that Erin gives us the "OK".  We dive into the blank canvas that is ready to be molded into an incredible fort or snowman!  Snow covers up the soggy deadness of fall, like winter deadens the demanding schedules of summer.  Real life is always present, hibernating, but we are allowed to forget about it for awhile.  We are given the gift of time to cuddle-up and re-energize, detach and refocus.  It will all be there, waiting for us in the spring, but for now, lets have some hot chocolate, and don't forget your special peppermint stirring stick!

High - Post-nap story cuddle time with my warm, red-cheeked boy.

Low - Waking up at 5:30 am the day after my birthday to Dolly's poop explosion all over the laundry room.  Lovely.

Luke Update:
Luke is looking for inside projects of the outdoor persuasion.  He's thinking of taking on another bow-building project but at the moment is doing a little re-loading (bullets).  I think this is his version of "crafty" and "settling-in for the winter".  He was excited about a hot find he discovered at RayCo Sales.  He was looking for some bullets online and found a great deal - 500 for $60.  However, the great deal turned south when shipping to Alaska was figured in. Discouraged, he tried to think outside the box and decided to look around town.  He went to the local pack-rat gun and ammo shop and low and behold found a dusty box in the back corner that had exactly what he wanted- a box of 500 bullets and for only $42.00.  Cha-ching! He had yet another adventurous, but unsuccessful hunting trek on Saturday.  According to Luke, there were pockets of deer activity and signs that the Rut is underway, but no animals were spotted.  

Owen Update:
I know that every week I write about how in love with my son I am, but I just have to say that I am in love with my son.  Both Luke and I look at him and marvel at how incredible he is and that we made him!  Lately, he's been mimicking sounds.  This morning, he walked onto Dolly's mat (which is off-limits for him).  I said "Owen, Uh-uh" and he stepped off the mat and said, "Uh-uh" in the exact same sing-songy tone. I'm hoping this was part of the learning process and not a sassy streak... Luke gave him a haircut this weekend.  Owen's hair doesn't lay down at all, it grows straight out from his head- looks like a halo when the sun shines through it. If we don't cut it, he has this stick straight blonde afro.  Luke thinks he looks so sharp with a fresh haircut, but it makes me think of a new army recruit and I'm just not ready for that yet...   



Owen in a sweater vest.  
Does this scream Sunday School attire or what?


Feeling the freeze of snow for the first time.
Maybe next time he'll choose to keep those mittens on!


Randy 
(from the Christmas Story)


The mighty hunter returns!

No comments: