Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Brink of Birthday

Sarah's Thoughts:
Every year on my birthday I feel like I should have some sort of amazing reflection on my life and insight to my future hopes and dreams... I guess the biggest change in the past year has been Owen's growth from teensey baby to toddler.  See, my life is mostly Owen....  But I'm OK with that.  I really feel like I was made to be a mom to Owen and a wife to Luke.  I'm so thankful that I'm right where I am.  Crazy that something so fulfilling is something I would have never figured that out on my own- not if I'd spent years in meditation or years traveling the globe. I guess my incredible insight from this year is not really anything new- just that God is big and knows what's best, so its best to entrust everything to Him.  Less stress, more fulfillment, more time to work on my sewing projects! :)  P.S. I think I might be planning a birthday party with my girlfriends- wine, delicious food and the word game?  What do you say, ladies?

High: Getting to go to our old roommate's birthday dinner.  So fun to hang out with friends and get out of the house!  Happy Birthday Chris!

Low:  Spending 3 precious nap-time hours on Saturday afternoon trying to wade through technical jargon related to website posting/programming only to realize that I needed more info from the client to move forward.  Ugh!

Luke Update:
Luke's big adventure this week was a day trip for deer.  He went with his buddy, John, who is now infamous for being a deer slayer.  When Luke first met John, he hadn't ever shot a deer.  These days, John can't seem to go wrong.  Case in point:  Luke and John leave at the crack of dawn for their deer hotspot.  They take the boat, Luke drops John and the gear off on shore and takes the boat back out a little bit to anchor it.  He then plans to row the inflatable raft to shore, but before Luke can even get into the raft, he hears gun shots.  John: 1, Deer: 0.  That was it for the rest of the day.  I have to say that our freezer is getting a wee bit short on meat, so I told Luke that he might think twice before taking John deer hunting again... but maybe John is good luck?  

Owen Update:
Owen started helping clean up this week!  Very Very Exciting!  I can always count on him to throw his diapers away.  As soon as the dirty one is off and packaged up in a little diaper ball, Owen will squirm and wiggle his way to his feet, grab the diaper ball and start waddling into the next room.  (His diaper pail is so stinky, I keep it in the spare room- advice anyone???)  He walks right over to the dresser atop which the diaper pail sits.  I lift him up, open the lid, and he very proudly deposits his package in the pail. Its very cute, especially when makes the trek before I get the chance to put a new diaper on him.  Owen has also started re-shelving his books.  Unlike the dirty diapers, however, this act of cleaning up is sporadic.  One other thing from this week - Owen has been repeating words and sounds.  He especially likes animal sounds.  We were reading a book that has the english names and spanish names for different animals found in the ocean.  Whenever we get to octopus, he always repeats the spanish name "el pulpo" except he says "po-po".  He's brilliant I tell you!  Simply brilliant!


Brushing daddy's teeth.  Dr. Schultz would be so proud!


New Jungle Jammies from Grammy!


Owen REALLY likes to push the shopping cart.  
He puts his little head down and pushes with all his might.  
This is at Costco.



The kids.


Owen and Triton the Hooley's new puppy.  Instant friends!

1 comment:

Lela Paden said...

Let me know the night I would love to come celebrate your birthday with you. Of course I won't be able to partake in the wine, however spending the evening with a wonderful friend will make up for that. Have a great day.
Lela