Sunday, March 1, 2009

On the brink

Sarah's Thoughts:  Its March 1st and we are on the brink of spring, I can feel it.  I'm also on the brink of finishing up a large graphic design project, and just finished the last of my aprons.  New beginnings are what spring is all about and I'm ready to burst out of this winter cocoon rested and energized!  ...only we have 6 inches of packed ice and snow on our driveway and its still 25 degrees outside.  Despite uncooperative Mother Nature, I'm keeping the faith and moving forward!  I think my next project will be sprucing up our guest room with a little paint, and a new bed spread.  It feels so good to be at a point where I've finished one project and can responsibly start something new.  Also, I'm excited for some non-electronic creativity.  March is going to fly by between a visit from my sweet Sarah and 2 weeks of paid vacation at the dental office. Before you know it, April will bring the end of the legislative session and Easter! Phew!  I'm ready!

High- Toss up between skiing on Mendenhall lake with brother, cousin and Kristen AND Saturday night's date night- babysitter and everything!

Low-  Work last week- goof-up after drama after stressful emergency after bad decision after goof-up...  plus I was feeling sort of sick.

Luke Update:  This morning as we were driving to church, Luke told me that he had spring fever in a real bad way.  He said he was going to dig out the boat (which is trapped behind several feet of ice and snow) and we were going cabin camping next weekend.  On our way home from church, he was talking about trolling for kings in the evening after work...  This afternoon during Owen's nap, Luke made a respectable dent in the mound of snow standing between our Durango and carefree outings on the water.  Because we had such a cold and rainy summer last year, I think we are all ready for warm and dry days.  Dig, baby, dig!  This week, Luke booked a few more trips for this summer, renewed his CPR, First Aide certifications for the next 2 years and finished his accounting for last fishing season.  Next stop:  accountant's office.  Yee-haw!

Owen Update:  Apparently, if you're 20 months old, the thing to do is pull the cushions off of the couch.  Then you can climb on it and play, read stories, or just throw things- basically the same things you might do on a couch that has cushions- only better.  I've been noticing several new words lately.  We saw our neighbor, Bob at Safeway and Owen said his name.  He hasn't said "Daddy" (he calls Luke "Mama") but he says "Bob".  I've also recently heard him say "poop", "blue", and "ditch".  On Saturday, while Luke was getting re-certified, Owen had his first experience sitting on the porcelain throne.  He didn't leave any deposits, but he proudly sat there reading his book and only almost fell in once. 

The other day, Luke realized 
we hadn't taken Owen sledding yet.
We unburied Luke's old Red Flyer 
and took off around the neighborhood. 
Luke pulled the sled at a rather quick pace, 
Owen glided along with an enormous smile
and mama, nervously ran parallel to the sled, 
ready to catch a jilted boy at any moment.



Keep your eyes on your driving, 
keep your hands on the wheels.
Serious driver.

Skiing at Mendenhall Lake with Kristen, 
Uncle Christian, and Uncle Jason.


When in doubt, read the manual


Close encounter (with the wolf) on our Saturday morning walk.


Good-looking boys
Owen with my brother, Christian, and cousin Jason.

2 comments:

Lela Paden said...

Sounds like the Woodruff family had a busy week. and I am so amazed that you can get Owen to sit on the potty. Matthias just starts freeking out when I even atempt to put him on the toilet. Our Boys arn't so little anymore. Have a great week. Lela

Rachel said...

Wow, sounds like you were busy indeed. Your skiing trip sounds fun and by the looks of it, Christian carried Owen in the ergo leaving your back free. YEAH! And I can totally see myself running alongside the sled as well. Sounds like a classic moment of a daddy wanting to share an experience and a mommy worried about safety precautions. Isn't that usually how the parental roles break down anyway?