Sunday, March 15, 2009

Covered in snow and paint

Sarah's Thoughts: This weekend, I finally pulled the trigger, bought some paint and am now almost 1/2 way through painting the back guest room.  As I emerged from the fumes, covered in brown splatter, I realized that once this project is complete, I'll have painted every room in the house except the hallway and our laundry room!  That's a lot of walls!  I'm excited to add a touch of homey-ness to our guest room.  Its always been the place that collects things that have no other home.  I don't know if that will change with a coat of paint, but I think my attitude towards the room will.  This sudden push for redecorating is due to the fact that my best friend, Sarah will be in town this weekend.  Sarah has this amazing style that always is comfortable yet rich and bold.  Walking into her house is like a cross between walking into Pottery Barn and Anthropologie.  You love everything you see and wish that you'd could just curl up amidst the delicious candles, the embroidered throws, and the orange and white paisley lamp shades and fall asleep.  All this to say, I had to make an effort, so I'm painting and looking forward to spending some time with my dear friend!

Low- Daylight savings time Monday morning when I had to drag myself out of bed and then wake up Owen an hour later.  There's nothing worse then waking up a sleeping baby.  Curse you, Daylight savings!

High- Daylight savings time on Friday when it was JUST getting dark at 7:30.  Once that snow melts, just imagine the places we'll go!  I love you, Daylight savings!

Luke Update:  For those of you that don't know, our house is located within the "Montana Creek Estates".   I'm not currently aware of any neighborhood associations in Juneau that require residents to mow the lawn once a week or plant specified foliage in the front yard, but if there was such a neighborhood, it would be ours.  The very knowledge of this fuels Luke's morbid desire to be the redheaded step-child of the neighborhood.  Some of our neighbors shovel their driveways with 1/2 inch of snow.  Our driveway, however, hasn't been shoveled since President's Day.  On Friday after work, Luke thought it would be a good idea to dig ruts in the 6" of packed snow so that when it warms up and the snow begins to melt, our cars would have an easy path to follow into the garage.  Initially, I didn't think this was the best idea and now I know that I was right.  Creeping ever so slowly down our driveway is like jumping in a bouncy castle, only without the cushioney floor to absorb the jolts.  In other news, Luke has been working hard on his fishing net and counted 12 trips booked already this year (last year at this time, we had 9!).

Owen Update:  In our family, we take walks.  Luke and I enjoyed walks when we were dating, and then we got married and got a dog.  We still really love our walks, but Dolly (our dog) is the reason we faithfully head outside, rain, wind, snow or shine.  All this to say, since day 5 or so, Owen has been going on walks too.  Some days he loves it, some days he falls asleep and some days he protests vehemently. This weekend, for the very first time, Owen walked at least 1/3 of the walk with his own two feet.  Usually when we try this, we make it about 3-4 houses past ours and he's so distracted with rocks, puddles, ditch, what have you, that we have to stop and force his wriggling body into the child carrying device of choice and continue on.  I don't know if its the fact that snow is covering everything in site so there's not much to distract him or if he's just getting bigger, but it sure has been fun.  He's so smily and proud, and my poor back gets a rest- 30 pounds is a lot after awhile!


Owen and his jammies of many colors


Glassy day on the water


Tickle time!

Owen patted the bench next to him with his chubby little hand 
and held up a book.  That boy loves to read!


After dinner treat!  

2 comments:

Casey said...

You will have to take pictures of it and post them... I am curious what it looks like. I finally finished Ellies room- I painted it a year ago, but didn't finish the edges and window seals. Its a little hard to paint when they sleep in there. Then I also painted our stair landing and a stair wall. I will be finishing that today :) Thanks for encouraging me to paint!!! Now that I have pulled my trigger, I am finally going to get some other painting projects done! I'll post mine, if you post yours.... ha ha ha ha :)

Rachel said...

Owen is such a cute boy. He sure looks like a fun and happy kid in these pictures. Our boys are growing up so fast!
Rachel