Sunday, March 8, 2009

Besides Spring...

Sarah's Thoughts: There's this book that I've heard a lot about called, "The 5 Love Languages."  The idea is there are 5 different ways people feel loved and in turn show love: acts of service, words of affirmation, physical touch, gifts, and quality time.  The way you show love to others is the way you feel loved.  I determined a long time ago that I feel loved the most from words of affirmation.  For example, if I feel like I need a compliment, I'll ask Luke "Doesn't this shirt looks nice on me?" and he'll say, "Oh yes, Sarah.  You look so nice in that shirt." and I'm happy.  However, this weekend I discovered that I truly appreciate acts of service as well.   On Saturday night, we had some friends come over for dinner.  Nap time is my big chance to work on projects (computer/cleaning/cooking/etc.).  I needed to do a little cleaning, but I also needed to work on this never-ending computer project...  Without being prompted, Luke vacuumed, washed the dishes, gave Dolly a bath, and installed curtain hooks throughout the living room and I felt so loved!  Really, I feel loved through all 5 of the love languages, as I think most people do... but it was nice to be reminded that "acts of service" makes me warm and tingly.  Thanks Luke!

High- Leaving work early (at 3:30) every day last week.  I'm sure my next paycheck will be my "low", but what are you going to do? 

Low- Discovering it was "poop day" in the nursery today at church.  During the service, I changed no less then 3 poopy diapers, none of them Owen's, and for one poor little guy, the poop was literally caked down the full length of his leg- crotch to heel.  

Luke Update:  The much-anticipated Coast Guard license application has been processed. The fine print has been scrutinized, the I's have been dotted, the T's have been crossed, and Captain Luke Woodruff is once again officially authorized by the United States Coast Guard as a Merchant Marine Officer.  Phew!  Now all we have to do is entice America's recession-burdened tourist population to fork over multiple benjamin franklins for a once-in-a-lifetime trip, fly rod in hand, to "humpy heaven" courtesy of Sea Runner Guide Service.  In preparation for the swarms of fish-catching tourists headed his way, Luke has started on a new wood-working project.  The trusty net he's used to retrieve many a fish from the frigid streams of Southeast Alaska broke recently, due to a certain 33" inhabitant of our house who shall remain nameless.  Luke has always wanted to make a wooden net and this week he chose to seize the opportunity.  I have to say I'm a little jealous of his new project, as I am still stuck making revisions to the graphic design project that won't end!

Owen Update: Every evening, around 5:30, my sweet little Owen turns into this demanding, grabby, fussing monster.  If I pick him up, he wriggles to get out of my arms.  If I don't pick him up, he's pulls on the leg of my pants or pushes his stool up to the counter so that he can throw silverware all over the floor.  He's hungry, but he doesn't want to be confined in his chair.  He doesn't want milk from THIS glass, he wants to drink it out of THAT glass... Owen is transformed into Mr. Hyde, regardless of what preceded that day.  On Saturday night, he was fussing at his finest, when our friends who have 2 children came over for dinner.  Instantly and I mean instantly, Owen started to giggle and then babble, and for the rest of the evening, he was happy.  He stayed up an hour and a half past his bedtime, but you wouldn't know it.  He really likes other kids.  He gets so excited to see all of his friends at daycare and in the nursery at church.  He doesn't know how to play with them, but just likes to have them around.


When Owen wakes up, he hands you things 
that he wants to snuggle with.  
It use to only be his cuddle sleeve, but today it was
a pillow, 6 stuffed animals, a silky, his cuddle sleeve 
and a blanket.  I could barely carry all of that, let alone Owen.  
I dumped the whole pile in the recliner.  
Notice the bare feeties. 


Walking on Mendenhall Lake this evening.


My little Emeril


family portrait


jail bird


my boys

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sounds like a great week. Why did you leave work early this week?
Isaac goes into a similar grumpy mode every evening. Usually a pre-dinner snack will help.
Rachel