Sunday, August 2, 2009

Still Summer-loving

Sarah’s Thoughts: Luke left us this weekend to browse the sunny mountain meadows for deer and for some reason, whenever Luke is gone hunting, I have this urge to remodel. I usually paint, but this time, since it was just an overnight trip, I decided to take down Owen’s crib. He’s been sleeping in a big boy bed for 3 months now and the amount of toys and books he acquires keep growing so it was time for the crib to go. Its amazing how big this tiny job felt. It took way too much time, created an amazing amount of space in his room, and afterwards, I felt like I’d accomplished this fulfilling, life-changing task. Owen was just excited to have the crib mattress on the floor for a little while so he could jump on it.


Low- This very moment, imagining my life as a widow since Luke was suppose to be back from deer hunting 5 hours ago... (he just called, is on his way home, missed the tide)


High- Owen running through the sprinkler this weekend.


Luke Update: Sockeye, deer, beautiful weather. It’s on! Luke struggles every summer with the need to work as much as he can verses the longing to do the things that makes Alaska great... This year, he’s decided to indulge a little bit. Last Monday he took the day off of guiding to head down to Sweetheart creek and fish for sockeye salmon. The salmon returning to the creek are hatchery fish, so each fisherman is allowed to keep 25 fish per day. If you hit the creek at the prime time, and are proficient at throwing a cast net, the task can be accomplished fairly quickly. However, when Luke was there, the fishing was a little slow. He left the house at 3:30 am, got home at 9:30 pm and had 18 fish between 3 of them. However, I’m not complaining! Gotta love those sockeye! Deer report next week.


Owen Update: I have a jumping bean on my hands. I have to make sure I’m close to Owen whenever there is anything around that he could potentially climb onto because before I know it, he’s throwing himself off. Large rocks, chairs, even the stairs at church today. That was a little scary since my hands were full of stuff. I had to throw my arm-load down the stairs so I could catch Owen. Scary and embarrassing... The other day, I was unsuccessfully trying to tell Owen to come to me. Frustrated, since he wouldn’t listen, I started counting, “Owen you need to come now! 1.... 2..... “ He squeeled with delight, ran over and jumped on me, because what else could I possibly be counting up to? Time to jump! In other news, he said his name for the first time today, but it was more “Own” or “O-nun”. Pretty precious.



Work picnic, all the kiddeos minus 3

Owen admiring the catch

Schultz dentistry staff at our summer picnic

Owen and the alders

montana creek

throwing the cast net for sockeye

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow! 18 sockeye! That sounds pretty good to me. Actually that sounds pretty tasty to me, too.
I know what you mean about the counting thing. Isaac sort of gets it. I've tried it a few times. Although I think it worked for the first time tonight. Isaac is probably getting it due to watching Carly's results. He hears Carly getting counted to so often that he's at least learned his numbers up to three!
I know our boys will get there. It's just a tough age because they have the physical ability to do so many things, but exactly the cognitive ability to obey and not do the very things they want so badly to do. It'll just take time for those abilities to catch up to each other. Good luck with your boy.
Rachel