Sunday, September 28, 2008

Autumn

Sarah's Thoughts:
Last Tuesday morning, I woke up to fresh snow on the mountains, and frost on my lawn and windshield. The previous day, September 22, was the Autumn equinox. For once, the weather in Juneau Alaska was right on schedule! Since that frosty morning, we've had some gorgeous, almost spring-like days, but take one look at the leafy trees and the low bush cranberries and you know its autumn. Even though autumn in Juneau means lots of nasty, rainy, windy weather, its still my favorite season. I hold onto those precious few moments when a whole gust of golden leaves dance in the air on their way to the ground, and the puddles get that thin layer of ice - you know the one that you have to resist breaking with every ounce of self-control you've got? I love watching the snow creep its way down Thunder Mountain and feeling the crispness in the air. My absolute favorite, though, going for a walk and smelling wood smoke, curling up from a fireplace. It makes me want to settle into a cozy warm house, work on crafty projects and bake some delicious cinnamon treat.

Low was the never ending pile of dishes...  and laundry... and my perpetually dirty bathroom....  Is there no justice in this world??? :) 

High was receiving my on-line shopping order and finding that almost everything fits comfortably (including a pair of 3 1/2 inch heels!). Another high was going on a girls overnight at one of the forest service cabins. Girlfriends, games, and wine. Good times!


Luke Update:
Luke had another excitement-filled week of playing Mr. Mom. However, between wiping snotty noses and re-shelving piles of books, Luke did get to do some fishing. If you don't know, for a limited time only, the streams are hosting what we like to call, "Coho Heaven" and fall would not be fall if Luke couldn't get a piece of that action. On one of our spring-like days this week, he took Owen and Dolly out to super secret Spot-X where Owen proceeded to fuss his way through several fishing holes and Dolly helped herself to some delicious rotting salmon. On another day, he ditched Owen with one of our friends and took my brother, Christian out. Needless to say, I think he enjoyed his second trip out a lot more then the first... but I do think Luke deserves kudos for bucking up and just doing it! (We are currently trying to find the balance between continuing on with our normal activities that we enjoy like hiking and fishing, and being shut in parents, slaves to the baby's sleep schedule. Advice anyone???)

Owen Update:
Owen has kicked-up his walking effort this past week. I can't believe that two weeks ago, he took his first step and now, he's cruising all over the place. He can round corners, traverse the hard-wood kitchen floor and transfer onto the living room carpet without missing a beat. He's also very into steering the spoon at mealtime. We're going to have to start laying down a tarp and dressing him in his full-body rainsuit whenever it's time to eat. This week, I thought I'd try to include a video post of Owen walking. We shot it on our digital camera, so the quality isn't stellar, but still fun. Owen REALLY loves watching this video of himself. Very little keeps our boy sitting still for more then 5 seconds, but he sat there, mesmerized watching himself on the big screen. Notice Dolly making a break for it as soon as he gets near... Poor girl!








Story Time with Daddy


Fishin'


What up?


We thought Owen looked like he was at a frat party, 
showing off his mad kazoo skills



My fun girl's trip, hiking out




2 comments:

Rachel said...

Looks like you guys have had a great week. I love how you write, Sarah. I feel like I can almost hear your voice because the words are so you.
Also, wanted to give you guys a heads up about Isaac's B-Day party. We just sent out the invites today, but it will be 10/6 @ 5:30 at our house. Hope you can make it. It would be great to have the three boys together again.

Rachel said...

Actually the party isn't a dress up one. I just thought Isaac's picture in a zoo animal costume would be cute for the invitation. But I guess Shawn can say, "I told you so." because he warned me that people would think it was a dress up party. Anyway, no costume necessary for admission. :)
BTW, our email is phelpsAK@gmail.com