Sunday, September 6, 2009

Already September!

Sarah’s Thoughts: My cousin, Jason, has been working in the cruise ship realm for a number of years. Last week, he hooked my brother, Kristen and Luke and I up with dinner aboard one of the ships. We got dressed up, kissed Owen good-bye and boarded the Zuiderdam to see how the other half live. Besides the extravagantly decorated elevators and crew members at your beck and call, I was especially struck by the excessive number of Purell dispensers. As we were standing in line to board the ship, there was a crew member with a enormous udder of the disinfectant, squirting a dab into each persons outstretched hands. It felt a little bit end-of-the-world-ish... Like we were this remnant of the human race that survived a catastrophic epidemic and now we were trying to live normally, but had this ever-present fear of another outbreak... we must always disinfect. Always. Dinner was delicious. We enjoyed our view of Douglas Island along with a complementary bottle of wine and a very attentive wait staff. After a brief tour around the ship, we sped off to Costco for a right-before-closing power-shop session. Nice little Monday.


Low- Realizing that as of Wednesday, I’ll be on my own for 2 weeks.


High- Unexpected 65 degree September Saturday and time with my folks


Luke Update: It was a big week. Luke officially hung up his guiding waders for the 2009 season and is currently creating a pile of gear to take with him on his moose trip up north. He takes off Wednesday night and then when he gets back, he’ll have a day and a half before we leave on a trip south. All this upcoming traveling means that if we’re going to have any smoked coho salmon in the freezer this winter, now is the time to catch them. Luke has been out a few times over the past week for salmon and halibut without much luck. He did manage to score some pity halibut so we were able to enjoy some halibut curry for the first time this year.... Ah! So much to catch, so little time...


Owen Update: I wish I could paint a picture for you of the amazing number of words that flow from Owen’s mouth. Whether it’s “Pterodactyl” or “Mama, I want to take a bath with dinos too,” nothing is to difficult for him. I use to sing this “clean-up” song to Owen whenever we were straightening up his room. I stopped singing it months ago because it didn’t seem like he was really catching on. Yesterday, we were picking up toys and Owen started singing the song. I was amazed. He’s like this person who has been in a coma. I’ve been talking to him and singing to him, not thinking he was really hearing or understanding anything. Then all of a sudden, he’s coming out of the coma and I realize that he heard and remembers everything. I’m sure all of you that have kids are saying, “yes, we remember that phase.” Still, daily I’m awed by my incredible boy.


Taking advantage of a free ride up Uncle Christian's new driveway

The classic "up to no good" look

Christian's newly purchased house

Melting a down-rigger weight into molten led for bullets

Owen's "Deadliest Catch" pose

Taking "Tops" for a little spin on the old Red Flyer


And now for a little peek at dinner with the Koldens
Note, Christian in prime form
Grandpa Roger

Chrsitian and his mother. Classic pose

Boys that make their mother's hearts surge with pride

Christian and Kristen.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Your picture captions are cracking me up this week. I laughed out loud several times.
Sounds like a fun and exciting week.
Shawn is off on his moose hunt already. I can't remember if you have a regular of long weekend coming up. If it's long we'll have to do something. Us hunting widows have to stick together.