Sunday, April 12, 2009

Island Fever

Sarah’s Thoughts: Our long-awaited cabin camp-out finally came! We stayed at a newer cabin (2007) in Handtroller’s cove on Shelter Island. Originally, we were planning on going to a different cabin for two nights with some friends, but due to circumstances beyond our control, we went by ourselves for only one night and it was perfect. The boat ride was a little lumpy and it rained off and on, but the trip was exactly what I needed. The cabin was gorgeous - roomy, clean, made of yellow cedar logs which brightened everything up. Made me want to become a “Little House on the Island” family. Camping means guilt-free food consumption- i.e. junk food, non-balanced meals, wine at 3:30 if you feel like it... it was great! Owen’s little fingers were stained orange from Cheetos. We went for a few walks and did a little beach exploring, but for the most part just enjoyed being together and being outside. I remember being an extremely indecisive as a teenager, (I still am) but the one thing I knew for sure was that I loved being outside. I’m thankful to be married to a man who shares that love and to have a son that (so far) seems to love the outdoors too!

High- Besides our outing, we had a lovely Easter lunch with my cousin, Jason, friend, Kristen, and neighbors Bob and Amy

Low- Dolly’s persistent projectile vomiting for a full 24 hours after hitting the beach.

Luke Update- I think our Shelter Island overnight was the highlight for all of us. Right after we arrived at the cabin and dumped our gear, I was walking on the beach with Owen and all of a sudden I heard what sounded like a gunshot! I whipped around and frantically scanned the cove for the shooter and then I see my husband, standing on the porch of the cabin with a .22 and the biggest grin I’ve ever seen. We heard that sound about 49 more times throughout our 20 hours at the cabin. This coming week is Luke’s very last for the 2009 legislative session, which means our routines are about to change! As of next week, he will fall back into the “stay at home Dad” mode... I think he has mixed emotions about this, but is already making plans to take Owen and Dolly out for some lazy mornings trolling for king salmon. “I’d rather deal with a fussing kid on the boat then a fussing kid cooped up in the house.”

Owen Update- My sweet boy is growing before my eyes! (do I say that every week?) He is definitely his father’s son. He notices every bird that flies by or sings to us from a nearby tree.  I remember taking my nephew to the zoo when he was little and I thought he’d be so excited about all the animals, but when we got there, it seemed like he couldn’t really see any of them. Owen, however, spotted a sea lion swimming around our boat and eagles cart-wheeling on the opposite side of the cove. His attention to detail is incredible. He’s also completely unphased by cold. He loves to sit and splash in puddles or the incoming tide zone. While we were at the cabin, I was shivering in my sleeping bag, and Owen was kicking off the covers. I worry so much about him getting cold so all night, I was trying to keep blankets on him and all night, he was fighting throw them off. After several hours of this, I realized that he was hot and so I just let him do his thing. He slept soundly, blanket-free for the rest of the night. My little Alaskan kid!

Sweet Dolly sitting in front of the stove like a good lab.

shooter

waiting for the tide

my new favorite picture

making breakfast

beach walking

Anchors away!


2 comments:

Lela Paden said...

This looks like so much fun. Maybe the woodruffs and the padens should set a time to go camping this summer... :-)

Woodruffs said...

I wish I was back at the cabin and not sitting in this office waiting for a meeting that probably won't happen!